BESS, TX (DALLAS COUNTY)
BESS, TEXAS (Dallas County). Bess was fourteen miles northeast of Dallas on Duck Creek; the site is now in Richardson, northern Dallas County. The settlement was started in the 1850s by members of the Peters colony and named for Lemuel Bess, who received a certificate for 320 acres that included the site. The land was patented in Dallas County in his name after he sold it. In 1949 Bess was served on a rural mail route from Garland.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Lisa C. Maxwell, "BESS, TX (DALLAS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvb50), accessed November 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.