BIG CREEK, TX
BIG CREEK, TEXAS. Big Creek is off Farm Road 2666 eight miles southeast of Coldspring and sixty miles north of Houston in southern San Jacinto County. It originally developed around a Methodist church known as Farley's Chapel and was established before the 1890s; Bill Lovett, George Howard, and John Jagers were among the early inhabitants. The little farming community did not have a post office or stores, but numerous tram lines in the vicinity and the fact that extensive lands were acquired or leased there by the Texas Long Leaf Lumber Company indicate that logging was important in the area. Although the tram lines have been abandoned, two churches and scattered buildings remained in the mid-1980s. The settlement is just east of Big Creek Scenic Area.
Ruth Hansbro, History of San Jacinto County (M.A. thesis, Sam Houston State Teachers College, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "BIG CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvb61), accessed October 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.