BIG HILL, TX (GONZALES COUNTY)
BIG HILL, TEXAS (Gonzales County). Big Hill, a rail stop eight miles east of Gonzales in northeastern Gonzales County, had a post office from 1857 to 1873. In 1889, when the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway built a spur from Shiner to Lockhart, a sign reading "Big Hill" marked a stopping point on the line. In 1932, however, the company abandoned the line, and afterward the rails were taken up. Big Hill remained a small farming and ranching community for a while. By 1936 only a rural schoolhouse marked the townsite, and by 1965 the site was no longer named on state highway maps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephen L. Hardin, "BIG HILL, TX (GONZALES COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvb62), accessed December 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.