BRANSFORD, TEXAS. Bransford was a mile west of State Highway 121 in northeastern Tarrant County. The settlement was probably established around 1870 and by 1877 had a few houses clustered around a general store and post office operated by Felix G. Bransford. The site was abandoned in 1888 when the tracks of the St. Louis Southwestern Railway were extended through the nearby settlement of Red Rock. The Bransford post office and store resumed operations in Red Rock, which adopted the name of the abandoned community. In the early 1900s Bransford had four general stores, four physicians, two blacksmiths, a livery stable, and a post office. The local school enrolled 117 students and employed two teachers during the 1905–06 term. Bransford soon declined as rapidly as it had grown, due largely to the development of nearby Coleysville. The Bransford post office closed in 1913. A 1936 map shows two churches and scattered dwellings at the townsite. Bransford was reported as an agricultural settlement and railroad station in 1940. Since then, however, it has ceased to exist as an organized community.
Historic Resources Survey: Selected Tarrant County Communities (Fort Worth: Historic Preservation Council for Tarrant County, 1990).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "BRANSFORD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvb93), accessed September 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.