BUSHDALE, TEXAS. Bushdale, near Farm Road 908 three miles northwest of Rockdale in southern Milam County, was supposedly named for the area vegetation. Its early settlers were of German descent. In 1903 Bushdale had a one-teacher school for fifty-seven students. The school, a business, and several scattered houses were reported at Bushdale in the 1940s. Its school was consolidated with the Rockdale Independent School District in 1949. There was no evidence of the community shown on the 1988 county highway map.
Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956). Milam County Heritage Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "BUSHDALE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvbat), accessed March 11, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.