BIPPUS, TEXAS. Bippus is on an unnumbered graded country road eleven miles south of the Oldham county line and eleven miles east of the New Mexico state line in northwestern Deaf Smith County. About 1910 several families purchased and fenced small tracts on a former XIT Ranch pasture within a ten-mile radius of each other. In 1914 George Bippus, a Russian immigrant farmer, donated land for a school building. Over the next few years the school was enlarged and used as a church and for other community functions. After the Bippus school district was consolidated with that of Walcott in 1950, the building was converted into a private farm home. A small area church was utilized off and on until 1978, when regular services were discontinued. A community clubhouse, however, was still used for various functions in 1985.
Deaf Smith County: The Land and Its People (Hereford, Texas: Deaf Smith County Historical Society, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "BIPPUS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvbbc), accessed October 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.