BURKHAM SETTLEMENT, TX
BURKHAM SETTLEMENT, TEXAS. Burkham Settlement was among the earliest Anglo-American settlements in Texas. It was founded by Charles Burkham, his wife, Ann (Abbet), their children, and several other families. According to the 1830 register of the Wavell Red River colony (see WAVELL, ARTHUR GOODALL), the Burkham group reached the Red River valley on July 4, 1816. By March 1820 they crossed the Red River to locate permanently at the mouth of Mill Creek, near what became the border of Red River and Bowie counties and a short distance from the Pecan Point settlement. Also among the early settlers were Hudson Posey Benningfield, Henry B. Stout, and Isaac Bateman.qqv The settlement served as a foothold for Anglo-American colonization in the region and paved the way for large-scale settlement of Northeast Texas during the 1820s and 1830s. The area was a stopping point for others entering Texas, including David Crockett, Nathaniel Robbins, and Francis M. Hopkins.qqv As late as the 1930s descendents of the original settlers still lived in the area.
Pat B. Clark, The History of Clarksville and Old Red River County (Dallas: Mathis, Van Nort, 1937). Claude V. Hall, "Early Days in Red River County," East Texas State Teachers College Bulletin 14 (June 1931). Blewett Barnes Kerbow, The Early History of Red River County, 1817–1865 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1936). Red River Recollections (Clarksville, Texas: Red River County Historical Society, 1986). Rex W. Strickland, Anglo-American Activities in Northeastern Texas, 1803–1845 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1937). George Travis Wright Family Papers, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "BURKHAM SETTLEMENT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvbbe), accessed April 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.