BOX, TEXAS. Box was four miles southeast of the site of what is now Vernon in central Wilbarger County. The settlement was named for the surrounding five-mile-square school district. The school, established there about 1893, became the community center for nearby residents. In 1916 the school's name was changed from Box to East Vernon. A grocery store was built nearby in 1925 but closed in 1931. The school was divided between the Vernon and Oklaunion school districts in 1949. Reunions were held at the old school building, near the intersections of Farm roads 1949 and 433, until 1981.
Wilbarger County Historical Commission, Wilbarger County (Lubbock, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "BOX, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvbbv), accessed October 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.