BIG LUMP, TX
BIG LUMP, TEXAS. Big Lump was a lignite-mining community on the International-Great Northern Railroad four miles west of Milano in southeastern Milam County. A post office opened there in 1912. In 1914 Big Lump had a cotton gin, a general store, and as many as 400 residents, as well as the lignite mine. The increase in oil and gas production in Texas nearly eliminated the lignite market in the 1920s. The post office at Big Lump was discontinued in 1924, and most residents moved away. No evidence of the community remained on county highway maps in 1988. See also COAL AND LIGNITE MINING.
Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "BIG LUMP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvbcm), accessed December 12, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.