CALHOUN, TX (CALHOUN COUNTY)
CALHOUN, TEXAS (Calhoun County). Calhoun, on Matagorda Island, was projected by the Republic of Texas in January 1839, when Congress directed the secretary of the treasury to have 640 acres on the north end of the island surveyed as the site for a seaport. Lots in the town went on sale in June 1841. A customhouse was established, and Alexander Somervell was appointed collector of customs. The town failed to prosper, however, and the customhouse was moved to Port Caballo. Calhoun ceased to exist by 1845.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CALHOUN, TX (CALHOUN COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc09), accessed July 13, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.