CAPUT, TEXAS. Caput was near the site of present Seminole in central Gaines County. Before the county was organized, Caput had the main post office in the area. It opened on December 19, 1904, with William B. Austin as postmaster. However, by 1905 the new town of Seminole had brought an end to its influence, and Caput declined rapidly. The post office moved to Seminole on January 22, 1906.
Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, 800 Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas: Frontier, 1971). Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, The Encyclopedia of Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "CAPUT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc23), accessed July 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.