CARTER, TX (PARKER COUNTY)
CARTER, TEXAS (Parker County). Carter was ten miles north of Weatherford in north central Parker County. It was established by Judge W. F. Carter and two partners, T. Parkinson, and H. C. Vardy, in 1866–67. The three men built a flour mill near the banks of Clear Fork Creek and added a cotton gin within a year. A general store, a blacksmith shop, a common school, and a church soon were erected. The community, originally called Cartersville or Carterville, established a statewide reputation for its flour, which was judged the best in Texas at the State Fair of Texas in Houston in 1873. In 1888 the seventy-five residents of the community received a post office branch and adopted the town's present name. Postal service to the community was discontinued in 1907. The population gradually declined, and by the 1920s the town was a memory.
Gustavus Adolphus Holland, History of Parker County and the Double Log Cabin (Weatherford, Texas: Herald, 1931; rpt. 1937). H. Bryant Prather, Texas Pioneer Days (Dallas: Egan, 1965). Henry Smythe, Historical Sketch of Parker County and Weatherford (St. Louis: Lavat, 1877; rpt., Waco: Morrison, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "CARTER, TX (PARKER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc27), accessed September 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.