CASAS BLANCAS, TX
CASAS BLANCAS, TEXAS. Casas Blancas, begun in 1776 as an outgrowth of the colonizing activities of José de Escandón, is a ghost town seven miles west of Roma in southwestern Starr County. The land was originally granted to Antonio García by the Spanish government in 1767. The García family occupied the site as late as 1852 and owned it until about 1880. Through marriage and purchase the González family acquired the entire grant and eventually occupied the fifteen rock houses erected by the Garcías. The whole family left suddenly in 1894. According to a local story a feud divided them into two factions and resulted in one man's murder. Reportedly, the rest of the family secretly buried the victim in the family cemetery and left their homes. Another story says that a ghostly apparition of the murdered man caused the evacuation. In 1899 a school at Casa Blancas had twenty-five students and one teacher. Years later locals asserted that a curse was on the site. The old rock houses gradually deteriorated, and by 1949 all that remained of the community was a few stones, the rest having been used to build new houses a few miles away.
Guide to Spanish and Mexican Land Grants in South Texas (Austin: Texas General Land Office, 1988). Randy McMillon, "Vanished Towns of the Rio Grande Valley," Junior Historian, May 1955. Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Dick D. Heller, Jr., and Alicia A. Garza, "CASAS BLANCAS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc29), accessed July 31, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.