CEDAR MILLS, TX
CEDAR MILLS, TEXAS. Cedar Mills was twenty-four miles northwest of Sherman in northwestern Grayson County. Settlement of the community began in the 1870s, when grist and saw mills were built in the cedar groves on the Red River. Cedar Mills quickly established itself as a community center for the mill operators and area farmers. Postal service began in 1872, and by the mid-1870s the town had a church, a school, and a number of businesses, including a hotel and racetrack. In 1884 the town had a population of 500. Cedar Mills was bypassed by the railroads. In 1890 the population dropped to eighty. Businesses left, and the post office closed in 1907. The community had fifty residents through the 1930s. During the early 1940s, however, the site was inundated by Lake Texoma.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "CEDAR MILLS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc33), accessed January 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.