CHICOLETE, TEXAS. Chicolete was thirteen miles east of Cuero in eastern DeWitt County. It was named for Chicolete Creek, though its school was originally called Hefner School for W. Hefner, who donated the land. The school began operation in 1880 and closed in 1942.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nellie Murphree, "CHICOLETE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc48), accessed December 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.