CLEAR CREEK, TX (DEWITT COUNTY)
CLEAR CREEK, TEXAS (DeWitt County). Clear Creek was near present Ranch Road 108 ten miles north of Yorktown in western DeWitt County, in an area predominantly settled by Germans. The community center was the Clear Creek school, organized in 1894 and sometimes called Sandgate. The school building also was used as a Methodist church. In 1926 the public school at nearby Nopal was merged with the Clear Creek school, which closed in 1951. By 1961 only Sandgate Cemetery marked the area. An earlier Clear Creek school may have been organized fourteen miles southeast in 1885 and operated until 1898; that building reportedly also doubled as a Methodist church.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Craig H. Roell, "CLEAR CREEK, TX (DEWITT COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc56), accessed March 12, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.