COLEY CREEK, TX
COLEY CREEK, TEXAS. Coley Creek is east of Farm Road 223 sixty miles north of Houston in southeastern San Jacinto County. Early Anglo settlers of the area included the Emory Lovin and Rufus Hughes families. Residents of the agricultural community depended upon nearby Shepherd for stores and a post office. Numerous tram railroad lines in the area indicate former involvement in logging operations. Although the lines have been abandoned, the growth of Shepherd has in recent years sparked new development in the surrounding countryside.
Ruth Hansbro, History of San Jacinto County (M.A. thesis, Sam Houston State Teachers College, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "COLEY CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc62), accessed April 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.