COLTHARP, TEXAS. Coltharp was on Cochino Bayou twenty miles east of Crockett in eastern Houston County. The community, settled before 1860, derived its name from an early settler who owned a store and a mill. A post office operated there from 1857 until 1909. The town had Presbyterian, Methodist, and Baptist congregations by 1884. Between 1884 and 1891 it also had a school, a shingle mill, and several steam cotton gins, gristmills, and sawmills. The town served as a shipping point for cotton. In 1884 Coltharp had a population of 150 and thirteen businesses. On August 15, 1887, the construction of a local school was authorized. In 1890 the community had a population of fifty, six cotton gins, two general stores, two gristmills, a gunsmith, a blacksmith, a sawmill, a shingle and planing mill, a church, and a district school. In 1892 Coltharp's population was 100, and the town also had two constables, a justice, and a doctor. By 1896 it had a population of seventy-five and two businesses. The population was reported as 113 in 1900, the last year for which statistics were available. In 1925 the local school was closed, and its students transferred to the Kennard school. The community was not shown on the 1946 county highway map.
Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mike Smalley, "COLTHARP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc66), accessed December 10, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.