CONCORD, TX (MCLENNAN COUNTY)
CONCORD, TEXAS (McLennan County). Concord was on the old Corsicana Road five miles northeast of Waco in McLennan County. It was settled by brothers Martin, Wilson, Mark, and George Bird, who moved to the area in the early 1850s from Concord, North Carolina, and who gave the community its name. In 1866 the Tehuacana Baptist Church of Christ was organized, and in 1872 the church was moved to the site of what is now the Concord cemetery. By the 1880s the town had a school, a general store, and a cotton gin, and the church was eventually moved to a site near them. By 1900 Concord was a switch on the International-Great Northern Railroad. The Concord school merged with several others to form the La Vega school district in 1924. In 1950 the church was moved to a site near Bellmead, where it was still located in the 1980s. By 1970 the cemetery was all that remained of Concord.
Dayton Kelley, ed., The Handbook of Waco and McLennan County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Harold T. Purvis, "CONCORD, TX (MCLENNAN COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc70), accessed December 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.