COPELAND, TEXAS. Copeland is just south of Tyler in Smith County. The area was settled as early as 1899, when the community was granted a post office named Coplen with Robert E. Burns as postmaster. In May 1904 the post office moved to Flint. By 1973 the name was spelled Copeland, and the community had several dwellings, a cemetery, and the Copeland Macedonia Church. Copeland was still on maps in 1985 and was still listed as a community in 1990.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "COPELAND, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc75), accessed July 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.