COWBOY, TEXAS. Cowboy was on Deep Creek twenty miles northeast of Brady in the northeastern corner of McCulloch County. Settlers came to the area in the late 1870s. A post office opened there in 1879; by the mid-1880s, Cowboy had a church, a district school, and a population of eighty. At that time area residents shipped cattle, hides, wool, and pecans. By 1896 Cowboy's population had fallen to fifty, and its post office had been discontinued. Its school was consolidated with the Rochelle district in the 1940s. A church and a cemetery marked the location of the community on the 1987 county highway map.
Wayne Spiller, comp., Handbook of McCulloch County History (Vol. 1, Seagraves, Texas: Pioneer, 1976; vol. 2, Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains Press, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "COWBOY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc83), accessed August 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.