CREEK, TEXAS. Creek, on Farm Road 1280 fifteen miles southwest of Crockett in southwestern Houston County, was established after the Civil War and named for its location on Big Creek. A school began operating there around 1885, and a post office opened in 1888. By the early 1890s the settlement had an estimated population of 150 and several gristmills and gins, as well as a blacksmith, sawmill, chair factory, and general store. The town began to decline in the 1920s, and by the mid-1930s only a church, a cemetery, and a few houses remained. In the early 1990s Creek was a dispersed rural community with a church and cemetery.
Armistead Albert Aldrich, The History of Houston County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1943). Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc86), accessed October 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.