CROSSENVILLE, TEXAS. Crossenville, eight miles from Edgar in eastern DeWitt County, was settled by the J. M. Alexander family in 1850. By 1858 six other families had arrived, including that of George W. Crossen, for whom the settlement was named and who established a store there that operated until after the Civil War. The Crossenville school was established in 1859 and taught by Bill Edgar, Sr., who commuted from Edgar. In 1880 a frame building replaced the community's original log schoolhouse. The school operated until 1925, when it was consolidated with the Stratton school, three miles to the southeast. Baptist "elm tree meetings" were held in the Crossenville area from 1926 to 1935.
Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nellie Murphree, "CROSSENVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc90), accessed July 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.