CURRY, TX (STEPHENS COUNTY)
CURRY, TEXAS (Stephens County). The exact location of Curry is unknown; the townsite may be submerged beneath Hubbard Creek Reservoir in Stephens County. The community was named for J. C. Curry, who settled in the county in 1881. In the 1920s an oil discovery in the Curry area brought about a boom, during which the settlement had a school, a carbon plant, several other businesses, and a population of 300. By 1930, however, the oil was exhausted, and the town quickly declined.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Julius A. Amin, "CURRY, TX (STEPHENS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvc94), accessed January 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.