CENTENARY, TEXAS. Centenary was six miles west of Mount Pleasant and three miles north of Monticello in southwestern Titus County. A post office was established there in 1885 with A. J. Hutchings as postmaster. Although the post office was closed in 1888, the community was still in existence the next year, when the Knights of Labor held a picnic there. The tannery located there was still in operation in 1889.
Wright Patman, History of Post Offices-First Congressional District of Texas (Texarkana, Texas, 1946?). Titus County Times, July 5, December 31, 1889.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "CENTENARY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvcaq), accessed March 10, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.