CROSSROADS, TX (CAMP COUNTY)
CROSSROADS, TEXAS (Camp County). Crossroads is on U.S. Highway 271 four miles southeast of Pittsburg in southern Camp County. It grew up around the Union Baptist Church, often called Crossroads Baptist Church, which was organized between 1885 and 1887. The church building was enlarged between 1888 and 1890 and used for both a church and a school. By 1897 the one-teacher, ungraded school served a scholastic population of fifty-two. In 1901 the trustees for the church and school purchased a little over three acres of land to the south of the church and built a separate school building. A new church was constructed in 1924. By 1935 the school had three teachers and offered eight grades. The scholastic census that year indicated that the district had ninety-seven white children of school age. There were also thirty-nine black children of school age living within the district, but they attended school in other districts. By 1955 all of the common school districts in the area had been consolidated with the Pittsburg Independent School District. In 1983 Crossroads had the church, a cemetery, and widely scattered houses.
Artemesia L. B. Spencer, The Camp County Story (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "CROSSROADS, TX (CAMP COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvcas), accessed September 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.