CURRY'S CREEK SETTLEMENT
CURRY'S CREEK SETTLEMENT. Curry's (Currie's) Creek Settlement, three miles west of the site of present Kendalia in east Kendall County, was named for an early settler. It consisted of a number of homesteads along a five-mile stretch of Curry Creek. The settlement was founded about 1847 when Samuel B. Patton established a homestead at the site. Patton later became the first county judge of Blanco County. Early settlers included Judge William Jones, who established a sawmill on Curry Creek in 1850. John S. Hodges built a saw and grist mill. Parson Daniel Rawls, one of the Old Three Hundred, built the first cotton gin in the county in 1853. Another early settler by the name of Robison built a gristmill that also served as the location for a Masonic lodge chartered in 1858. The charter was moved to Blanco a year later. By the late 1850s Curry's Creek Settlement comprised more than 100 residents, supported by a farming and ranching economy. George Wilkins Kendall introduced sheep ranching in the area in the 1850s. A local post office opened in 1863 but closed in 1900; postal records had been transferred to nearby Kendalia in 1895. The population of Curry's Creek Settlement began to decline in 1880. Kendalia held a centennial celebration for the founding of the settlement in 1947. By the 1980s a few graves and remnants of homesteads were the only remaining signs of Curry's Creek Settlement.
Kendall County Historical Committee, Kendall County Scrapbook (Kendalia, Texas, Public Library). Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "CURRY'S CREEK SETTLEMENT," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvcbh), accessed December 06, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.