COLE SPRINGS, TX
COLE SPRINGS, TEXAS. Cole Springs was six miles north of Lexington in extreme northern Lee County. The area was settled before the Civil War. In 1856 residents organized the Cole Springs Baptist Church and constructed a log building to serve as the church and school. The structure burned down in 1901, and a new wooden frame church was constructed. The school enrolled thirty-four students during the 1905–06 school year. A new separate building was erected for the school in 1913 and continued to serve area children until the school was consolidated with the Lexington Independent School District. By the mid-1930s the community no longer appeared on state highway maps.
Lee County Historical Survey Committee, A History of Lee County (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "COLE SPRINGS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvcbl), accessed October 02, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.