CRESWELL, TEXAS. Creswell, a post office community near the site of what later became Ash, ten miles southwest of Crockett in southwestern Houston County, was probably established after the Civil War. A post office opened there in 1870, and by the mid-1870s the community had a store and a number of houses. Its post office was discontinued in 1877, and by the mid-1930s Creswell was no longer shown on the county highway map. No trace of the settlement remained in 1990.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "CRESWELL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvcjw), accessed December 20, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.