DEL MAR, TX
DEL MAR, TEXAS. Del Mar was on Boca Chica Island off State Highway 4 eight miles southeast of Port Isabel in southeastern Cameron County. The name means "of the sea." Spanish ranchers from Matamoros established summer homes and bathing beaches at the site before the Mexican revolution. A community was in existence by 1940, when it reported an estimated population of twenty. It had tourist facilities, a church, and supply houses for fishermen in 1948. Del Mar no longer existed in 1955, and by 1970 appeared on maps only as a triangulation point. In the early 1990s the site was part of the Brazos Island State Scenic Park.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "DEL MAR, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvd16), accessed December 10, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.