DEMIJOHN BEND, TX
DEMIJOHN BEND, TEXAS. Demijohn Bend, eighteen miles northwest of New Braunfels in northern Comal County, was a German farming and ranching community that was settled in the 1850s by the Pantermuehl and Baetge families. The name derived from a demijohn-shaped bend in the Guadalupe River that formed a 400-acre peninsula that was nearly encircled by the stream. Much of the scenic bend has been submerged since Canyon Lake was filled in the mid-1960s.
R. B. McDonald et al., An Appraisal of Potential for Outdoor Recreational Developments in Comal County (n.p.: Guadalupe-Blanco River Authority, 1967). Lillian Penshorn, A History of Comal County (M.A. thesis, Southwest Texas State Teachers College, 1950).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Daniel P. Greene, "DEMIJOHN BEND, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvd20), accessed March 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.