DODDVILLE, TX (WASHINGTON COUNTY)
DODDVILLE, TEXAS (Washington County). Doddville, also known as Dodd or Dodds, was probably on Yegua Creek fifteen miles north of Long Point in northern Washington County. It received its name from John Dodd, its first postmaster. In 1854 Doddville had a population of 287 whites and twenty-one black slaves. By 1856 the community had a school, and in September 1858 its post office opened. Doddville served as a center for an agricultural and stock-raising area. Its post office closed in June 1859, and by 1860 the population had decreased to 160, which included a teacher, a master mechanic, a well digger, and physician L. W. C. Lincecum, son of Gideon Lincecum, famed physician and botanist. The community declined as more fertile areas of the county were opened to cultivation and the population moved nearer to the projected rail route in southern Washington County.