DURHAM, TEXAS. Durham was on Bull Creek ten miles southeast of what became Gail, three miles south of U.S. Highway 180, and two miles west of Farm Road 1610 in east central Borden County. Early members of the Durham community included the Waskom, Wicker, Calloway, Reeves, and Askin families. The first post office in Borden County was established in Durham on May 27, 1887, with Anthony Blum as postmaster. In the late 1800s Durham consisted of a trading post and stage stop on the Colorado City-Fort Sumner stage line. By 1910 the community had grown to include several houses and a general store, a church, and a school. A new school was built at Durham around 1911, but a severe drought in 1916 and 1917 resulted in the community's rapid decline. One store remained there for several years, but on October 25, 1925, the post office was discontinued and moved to Knapp in Scurry County. By the 1960s nothing remained at the site of Durham.
Borden County, Texas: The First One Hundred Years (Gail, Texas: Borden County Historical Commission, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "DURHAM, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvd51), accessed March 08, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.