DOUBLE MOUNTAIN, TX
DOUBLE MOUNTAIN, TEXAS. Double Mountain was on a local road a mile west of Farm Road 2211 and ten miles west of Aspermont in west central Stonewall County. The settlement, originally called Jackson by its first settlers in 1886, was renamed Double Mountain several months later. A post office was established there in June of that year, with John M. Lee as postmaster. By 1892 a sheriff, justice of the peace, and county commissioner were among the residents of the community. In 1905 its post office was moved from the Lee home to the Matthews home, which became a gathering place for area ranchers. Although locally known as Double Mountain, the post office name was formally changed to Lingo in 1905. It was discontinued in 1908 and moved to Aspermont. Double Mountain developed little beyond the post office and the Baptist and Methodist churches organized there in 1897 and 1898, respectively. A Double Mountain school was in existence by 1899; after it burned, classes were held in the Beulah Baptist Church until a new one-room school was built in 1914. The community had lost its identity long before the 1980s, when county highway maps indicated only a Double Mountain cemetery about two miles west of Stinking Creek.
Arthur Hecht, comp., Postal History in the Texas Panhandle (Canyon, Texas: Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, 1960). A History of Stonewall County (Aspermont, Texas: Stonewall County Historical Commission, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "DOUBLE MOUNTAIN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvd52), accessed January 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.