DEMPSEY, TEXAS. Dempsey was seven miles east of Atlanta and twenty miles northeast of Linden in far eastern Cass County. A post office was established there in 1874 with Andrew J. Newton as postmaster. The office was discontinued the next year, reestablished in 1888, and permanently discontinued in 1901. By 1936 Dempsey had ceased to exist as a named community.
Wright Patman, History of Post Offices-First Congressional District of Texas (Texarkana, Texas, 1946?).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "DEMPSEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvd55), accessed June 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.