EQUESTRIA, TEXAS. Equestria was nine miles southwest of Cleburne in southwestern Johnson County. It grew up around a cotton gin in the late 1870s. From 1883 to 1896 Equestria had a post office. By 1884 it had a church, a steam cotton gin, and a population of ten. Stock raising was important in the area, but the community also shipped corn, cotton, wheat, and oats. In 1892 its population was estimated at nineteen. There is no evidence to suggest that the community survived to the twentieth century.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "EQUESTRIA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hve33), accessed May 23, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.