EVERITT, TEXAS. Everitt was in a dense thicket nine miles southwest of Coldspring in southwestern San Jacinto County. It was named for W. N. Everitt, who moved to the area in the late 1880s. He also served as the first postmaster for the Everitt post office, established in 1890. Everitt had a peak population of 300 during the early twentieth century. As the Great Depression devastated San Jacinto County agriculture and lumbering, however, the population of Everitt fell rapidly. The post office was discontinued in 1929, and by the late 1940s Everitt no longer appeared on lists of Texas towns.
Ruth Hansbro, History of San Jacinto County (M.A. thesis, Sam Houston State Teachers College, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "EVERITT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hve40), accessed September 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.