EXCELSIOR, TEXAS. Excelsior was on the Houston, East and West Texas Railway fifty miles northeast of Houston in northern Liberty County. The Excelsior post office was established in 1912; in June of that year the town plat was drawn up at the direction of Minora Paxson Hinchliff. A large number of tram lines traversed the surrounding heavy forests, and George Hinchliff operated a sawmill at Excelsior. The post office, however, was discontinued in 1917, and the community was abandoned.
Barbara Smith, comp., "Cleveland's History," Cleveland Area Pioneer, June 1978.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "EXCELSIOR, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hve42), accessed November 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.