FANCHER, TEXAS. Fancher, southwest of the site of what is now Seymour in western Baylor County, served as a stop for the Wichita Valley line after the train built through the area in 1908. A school was built in 1918 on land given by Alex Fancher, for whom the community was apparently named, and remained active until 1929. The community still functioned as a railroad station in the early 1950s, although 1980 county maps gave no evidence of its former location.
Baylor County Historical Society, Salt Pork to Sirloin, Vol. 1: The History of Baylor County, Texas, from 1879 to 1930 (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1972); Vol. 2: The History of Baylor County, Texas, from 1878 to Present (1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "FANCHER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvf09), accessed September 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.