FLORA, TX (FORT BEND COUNTY)
FLORA, TEXAS (Fort Bend County). Flora was a farming community and rail stop on U.S. Highway 59 (now 90A) about a mile northeast of Richmond in north central Fort Bend County. The community seems to have been established after 1894 and may have been named for J. C. Florea, who taught the first school in nearby Missouri City in 1894 and afterward became a county judge. According to other sources it was named for Flora Emmich, the wife of railroad employee Leon Emmich. Flora never had a post office; its mail was delivered through Richmond. By 1936 the site was apparently a stop on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. By 1987 all reference to Flora had disappeared from county maps.
Clarence Wharton, Wharton's History of Fort Bend County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1939).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephen L. Hardin, "FLORA, TX (FORT BEND COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvf27), accessed October 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.