FOUTS, TEXAS. Fouts was on the Trinity Valley and Northern Railway ten miles north of Dayton in west central Liberty County. The railroad, completed from Dayton through Fullerton to Fouts in 1909, was extended another eight miles by 1911. Fouts was presumably named for L. Fouts, one of the railroad's incorporators. It was in a heavily forested area crossed by logging roads for the lumbering operations and at one time had a population of fifty. It had a post office from 1909 to 1917. The Dayton Lumber Company's logging facilities at Fouts were sold in 1917. Presumably because logging had become less profitable, the Trinity Valley and Northern abandoned its line north of Fullerton in 1929. Fouts is not shown on county highway maps in the mid-1980s.
S. G. Reed, A History of the Texas Railroads (Houston: St. Clair, 1941; rpt., New York: Arno, 1981). Charles P. Zlatkovich, Texas Railroads (Austin: University of Texas Bureau of Business Research, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "FOUTS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvf65), accessed May 20, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.