FLACCUS, TEXAS. Flaccus, five miles east of Helena in Karnes County, was the center of a colony of blacks who lived along McTennel Creek. The settlement dates back to Reconstruction, when area slaveholders released their slaves, many of whom retained the surnames of their former masters. The name Flaccus was chosen for a post office established there in 1903 with Lorenzo Perryman as postmaster. The post office was discontinued, and its records were moved to Runge in 1906. A school, referred to as Brieger school in the 1930s, was built there. In 1990 only a few wooden houses and some graves remained at the site.
Robert H. Thonhoff, History of Karnes County (M.A. thesis, Southwest Texas State College, 1963).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert H. Thonhoff, "FLACCUS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvfgv), accessed September 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.