GREY MULE, TX
GREY MULE, TEXAS. Grey Mule was just north of Long Hollow Creek about thirty-five miles northeast of Floydada in northeastern Floyd County below the Caprock. The settlement was on the Fort Worth and Denver Railway. In the early 1900s a community developed around a school that was first called Goodnight. About 1918 the school was moved. Since the new school site was in an area where mules were used for many farming operations, area baseball teams began to call the school Grey Mule. Early businesses in the community included the Keisling cotton gin and a store run by Otis Purcell. The Fort Worth and Denver Railway established the Edgin station there in 1927, supposedly for an "edge in" the Caprock. In 1929 the switch included several maintenance buildings as well as stock pens and a gravel platform. By the early 1930s businesses at Grey Mule included a cotton gin, store, cafe, boardinghouse, blacksmith shop, and gravel pit. The local mail came from Quitaque. The community's population around this time was estimated at 100. The Edgin school, established in the late 1920s, also served as a church and community center. Grey Mule prospered during the 1920s and 1930s, but local business collapsed during the Great Depression, and the community's residents moved away. By the late 1940s Grey Mule was completely abandoned. Nothing remained at the site in the mid-1980s but the Edgin railroad switch and a cemetery. Stock raising was evident in the area as was cultivation of cotton, wheat, and grain sorghum.
Floyd County Historical Museum, History of Floyd County, 1876–1979 (Dallas: Taylor, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "GREY MULE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvg70), accessed September 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.