GOOSENECK, TEXAS. Gooseneck was on the west side of the Brazos River five miles south of the site of present Graham in southeastern Young County. The area was settled by the 1880s and was originally called Honey Bend because of its wild bees; it was later named for a prominent curve in the river. The center of the community never consisted of more than a rural school and a church. In 1932 the Gooseneck Cemetery Association was established to maintain the original graveyard. James James, born in 1764 and a veteran of the War of 1812, was buried there. The 1984 county highway map showed the Gooseneck Cemetery a mile east of Farm Road 1287.
Carrie J. Crouch, Young County: History and Biography (Dallas: Dealey and Love, 1937; rev. ed., A History of Young County, Texas, Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1956).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "GOOSENECK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvg77), accessed March 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.