GOOD HOPE, TX (DENTON COUNTY)
GOOD HOPE, TEXAS (Denton County). Good Hope was on Doe Branch at the intersection of Good Hope Road and Prosper Road, between Farm Road 1385 and the Collin county line fifteen miles east of Denton in eastern Denton County. The original settlers, from Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia, Arkansas, and Wisconsin, included the families of Jacob and Lewis Rue, Ben Armstrong, Pete Hucherson, and Rev. W. P. Rennison, who arrived in 1854 and settled on the Ben Rue survey at the site, then called Rue Settlement. Ben Rue sold his land before he moved to Fannin County but saved four acres, which he donated for a church and school. The Cumberland Presbyterian church was founded in Rue Settlement about 1854 and was active until 1925. Good Hope Baptist Church was established in 1875 and used on alternate Sundays for Presbyterian and Baptist services. The community thereafter was called Good Hope. In 1878, when a storm destroyed the building, the church was moved to Parvin, less than a mile away. The school, which remained in the community when the churches moved to outlying areas in 1878, was usually known as Good Hope but was also called Good Hope Parvin or Parvin. It received funds from the state as a public school in 1878. In 1935 the Good Hope school had forty-seven students and three teachers, but in 1949 it was disbanded when schools in the area were consolidated under the guidelines of the school consolidation law. Burials had taken place in Good Hope Cemetery by at least 1870 and probably as early as the 1850s. In order to preserve this early cemetery the Good Hope Cemetery Association was founded in 1903. In 1904 Ben Rue officially gave the land to the association, and a state historical marker was erected at the cemetery in 1986. The cemetery and burial association remained active in 2002.
Emily Fowler, Towns and Communities of Denton County, Texas (MS, Denton Public Library, Denton, Texas, 1956). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Lisa C. Maxwell, "GOOD HOPE, TX (DENTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvg82), accessed November 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.