GRADY, TEXAS. Grady was on Farm Road 3205 eight miles west of Rotan in northwestern Fisher County. J. W. McCombs settled at the townsite in 1888. A post office was opened in the community in 1890 and named for Henry W. Grady, a noted journalist and orator of the time. By 1896 Grady had a flour mill and gin, a general store, and a population of ten. The post office closed in 1902. Grady school operated for a number of years and was consolidated with Hobbs school in 1924. By 1940 all that remained at the site was a cemetery.
Delila M. and Josie M. Baird, Early Fisher County Families: A Biographical History, 1876–1910 (Rotan, Texas, 1976). Lora Blount, A Short History of Fisher County (M.A. thesis, Hardin-Simmons University, 1947). Fisher County Historical Commission, History of Fisher County, Texas (Rotan, Texas: Shelton, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.John Kevin Wilson, "GRADY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvgpb), accessed December 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.