HAMILTON, TX (HARRIS COUNTY)
HAMILTON, TEXAS (Harris County). Hamilton was laid out in 1838 on the John Brown league directly across Buffalo Bayou from Harrisburg by Walter C. White, Robert Wilson, Stephen Richardson, and Thomas Davis. The site competed temporarily with Harrisburg for location of the Harris County seat of government, but upon White's death, Davis sold his interest to William Plunkett Harris and Dr. Francis Moore, Jr., and the partners incorporated their town with Harrisburg.
Edwin Rice Brown and Leslie L. Walker, Jr., Harrisburg: The Community and Its Rotary Club (Houston, 1955). Andrew Forest Muir, "The Destiny of Buffalo Bayou," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 47 (October 1943). Andrew Forest Muir, "The Municipality of Harrisburg, 1835–1836," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 56 (July 1952). Andrew Forest Muir, "Railroad Enterprise in Texas, 1836–1841," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 47 (April 1944).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "HAMILTON, TX (HARRIS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvh11), accessed March 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.