HARMON, TX (CHAMBERS COUNTY)
HARMON, TEXAS (Chambers County). Harmon, between what is now State Highway 61 and Farm Road 563 forty-five miles from Beaumont in northern Chambers County, was named for Charles Harmon, who moved to the Andrew Weaver league in 1895 or 1896. Harmon's saddle shop drew customers from throughout the state and served as the focal point of the community. The Harmon school, which opened in 1927, was consolidated with that of Hankamer in 1936. The old saddle shop was moved to Hankamer in 1947. Harmon was not labeled on the 1983 county highway map.
Jewel Horace Harry, A History of Chambers County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940; rpt., Dallas: Taylor, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "HARMON, TX (CHAMBERS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvh20), accessed May 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.