HAW CREEK, TX
HAW CREEK, TEXAS. Haw Creek is a dispersed farming and ranching community on Farm Road 389 about five miles southeast of the town of Round Top in northeastern Fayette County. The community was established about 1870 by German colonists on the slopes above Haw Creek, near which grew abundant black and red haw trees. A post office opened there in 1872 and operated until 1906. In 1884 the community reported thirty residents, and in 1896, fifty. The settlement also had a cotton gin, church, school, store, and blacksmith shop. Improved transportation and decreased agricultural productivity led to the community's decline, and by 1958 only its church and cemetery remained. In the 1980s most land in the vicinity was used for corn production or as cattle pasture.
La Grange High School, Fayette County: Past and Present (La Grange, Texas, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jeff Carroll, "HAW CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvh33), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.