HIXON, TEXAS. Hixon, four miles east of New Ulm in western Austin County, was founded in 1892 at a siding on a new line of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas, midway between New Ulm and Cat Spring. It was named by railroad officials. The surrounding area had been settled largely by German immigrants beginning in the mid-1830s. Hixon never established a post office and received its mail through New Ulm. In the early 1900s C. O. Carpenter of Minnesota attempted to develop Hixon as a subdivision of nearby urban areas, but the townsite, situated in almost uninhabited woodland with sandy soils unsuited to agriculture, did not attract settlers. A 1963 map showed no trace of the community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles Christopher Jackson, "HIXON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvh73), accessed December 11, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.